Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Why Tri?

So I did my last Triathlon of the season on Sunday. It was just me and Lindsay as Rana was defeated by a long day and bad bike tires (hint to Jimbo - a new bike would be a great gift!). Lindsay and I headed to Inks Lake at 5:00 am. We kept each other awake along the way and arrived to a dark, quiet lake. They were just getting set up and it is so different because it is such a small race - only 300 people vs 3000 at the Danskin. It was also very chilly outside. We did packet pickup and racked our bikes and gear. Then the race start was delayed as the organizers forgot the timing chips. So we sat in the truck and waited - trying to find some motivation for racing when we had not trained as planned. We decided it was a beautiful day and we HAD to make the best of it.

John, Ryanne and Avery came to cheer us on. They were just what we needed and had fun being close to the action.

At 8:30 we headed to the water, learned we were the 2nd wave to start and off we went. I had a crummy swim as I have a hurt finger and was too worried about hitting someone in the water. An eternity later, we headed out for an 18 mile ride on the bikes. Lindsay had a great swim and waited for me for the ride. We decided early on that we were there to have fun and not worry about times. The ride was great - lot's of rolling hills. The last leg of the day, the run - was harder than it should have been. I am always humbled by the run. It seems like it should be no big deal but I always struggle along. Lindsay and I were high-fived along the run by a 74 yr old man who was doing his 116th Tri. Wow!!

Once we were done, we were so happy and relieved. The is such a cute race - very bare bones - but they have the best baked potatoes afterwards. I think the week I "Tri'd" to get motivated again and enjoy a fun day with great friends. We missed Rana and Olga. It is never the same without them. Next up - John, me, & Olga are running the 1/2 in SA in November - time to get busy running!!

No comments: